Artificial grass is an investment! The overall longevity of artificial turf certainly influences a homeowner’s purchasing decision. Artificial turf is known to last for a very long time. In fact, it reportedly lasts anywhere up to 20-25 years. The longevity of artificial grass is one of its biggest advantages.
However, there are two contributing factors that will determine whether your artificial grass will last that long.
Quality & Property Type
The artificial turf’s construction and overall quality may affect its lifespan. For example, a polyurethane backing is far more resistant against general wear and tear than a latex backing, especially if you’re a pet owner. Polyurethane backings are known to effectively combat pet and wildlife urine. Denser, longer fibers effectively suppress compression related issues because such models generally use a blend of dual shaped fibers. This two-tone blend does a far more effective job in resisting heavy traffic and combating against deterioration and fraying. Furthermore, clients purchasing quality artificial grass should expect the following:
- The colour is embedded into each fiber therefore, it will not leak or fade.
- These fibers are properly stitched into the backing therefore, they shouldn’t loosen or fray.
- These artificial turf models are UV resistant.
Your property is not likely to influence the longevity of your artificial turf. Throughout the years, artificial turf has been used all over the world under varying temperatures. These factors do not influence or speed up the deterioration of artificial grass.
Although artificial grass is maintenance free, you will need to take care of the artificial grass from time to time if you’d like to extend its longevity. Below are a few steps that we recommend you take if any issues should arise:
- Raking/Sweeping: If there is general debris on your artificial turf or if the infill is clumping up in one area, we recommend you sweep or rake the area. This practice will maintain the pristine condition of your lawn and extend your artificial turf’s longevity.
- Washing: If there are any stains or odors coming from your artificial grass, we recommend giving it a quick wash with a hose.